“A Theology of Sight” – 1 Corinthians 6:12
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. -1 Corinthians 6:12
“The eye is the lamp of the body. So if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness.”
Supporting scriptures: Psalm 101:3; James 4:4; 1John 2:15; Philippians 4:8; Job 31:1; Proverbs 6:6-8; 1 Timothy 1:18-19
WHAT YOU SEE
- What’s your favorite show? Movie? Who’s the influencer you watch most? What about these things/people appeal to you? If you’re being honest do you think that these things/people aim your mind and heart toward Jesus or away? Why?
- By the things you choose to watch, how are you looking to honour God? Or, how do the things you’re looking at on a regular basis lead you further from him?
- Should you only watch Christian shows and movies or follow Christian influencers? Why or why not?
- How can you guard your eyes and your heart from seeing things that are unhelpful to you and unloving towards God?
SEE WHAT YOU WANT OR WANT WHAT YOU SEE
- What patterns, day-to-day habits, plans, and rituals show that you are following and wanting the God who loves you? What habits show that maybe you aren’t that serious about Jesus?
- Are you intentional about the things you watch or do you get lost scrolling or surfing? How do you think spending time lost in aimless visual wandering online honours God?
- Why do you think it’s so easy to get lost and spend so much time on your screens and the things you watch? Why do you think it’s so hard to spend time looking at the things that God wants you to focus on?
GOD CARES ABOUT WHAT WE WATCH
- Why does God care so much about what we see? Be honest, how does knowing how God feels lead you to want to make some changes? Does it? If not, why?
- How do the things you watch and see show the world whether Jesus is Lord of your life?
- Why is it so important that we watch and see the things that will be helpful for us in following Jesus more closely? (1 Timothy 1:18-19) How do you think that continuing to watch things that you’re allowed to but are unhelpful can overtime “make a shipwreck” of your faith?
- How can you ask God to help you change some of your watching habits so that you live out the fact that Jesus is King of your life?
Take some time this week to pray, think, and discuss what you watch and see with a wiser Christian that you trust. Ask yourself some hard questions about whether what you’re watching is making your faith and trust in Jesus stronger or weaker. Ask yourself if what you’re watching shows love for Jesus, both to him and to anyone else who’s watching. Consider that the things you look at are part of your witness to the good news of the kingdom of God.
Then, ask God to help you make some steps and changes that will allow more room in your heart, through your eyes, for Jesus.